Friday, February 24, 2012


Forget Exes

Honestly, I was so surprised to learn over the past few years that a whole lot of people have someone that got away.  50 years later, 5 years later, and all that lies in between.  It seems we all are drawn (at times) to what might have been...  #katyperry (is that how it's done or is @katyperry?) even has an AWESOME hit song out now about it - "The One That Got Away".  Oh the number of songs about lost loves...

I really don't think people want "the one that got away" back (because most all of us don't!), but I think people long for what seems simpler.  Whether it is easier to keep an old love than find a new one or the challenges of dating life truly are simpler than married life (my unmarried supposition but that seems a glaringly obvious statement ;-).

Even on the heels of a great blind date (granted that was 1 1/2 hours of getting to know someone but as I have said, God blessed me a Gamecock and hope springs eternal), seeing my "last love" across the parking lot laughing with his new wife - stings.  It does and I hate that!  Because leaving was the absolute right thing for me and clearly for him but I guess we all wonder about someone?  What is it about that intellectual understanding differing so from our emotional position?  I can clearly articulate that relationships's demise and do not have a friend that disagrees. It is so crystal clear, it makes me laugh at the 20 minutes devoted to typing these thoughts.  Should I even post??  Thinking yes because I also KNOW a la #ladygaga or @ladygaga (imagine I'll learn tagging soon), that I'm on the edge of glory.

Anyway - tonight, #thisjanesays... Forget Exes.  They are exes for a reason and would have stuck the first time if they were supposed to work.  And although it has been awhile since feeling that love at first sight or maybe at first few dates in - I recall the feeling well and it being clearly accompanied by very real confirmation/clarity on the wrong prior loves (or wrong for long term - I don't want to disqualify love ever... like many friendships, we have loves for certain times in our lives and they are much fun!).
Reminders From God

My fervent hope is that anyone reading thinks "Sometimes I do wonder... NAY, NO WAY because that would have been a whole other set of challenges;" and that this is an entertaining blog ending with a thought of thanksgiving for all our blessings.  I know that is where I land and wish that for everyone I know too!  To share a text from my favorite app, Reminders from God, "Wonders are unfolding beyond your dreams and hopes.  To everything say, 'All is well.'" That is one thing of which I am sure :-)

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sista... The grass can seem greener... and some days it seems greener than others - but things sometimes have a way of working out just as they should. To quote Mick Jagger "...you can't always get what you want... But sometimes, you might find, you get what you need..."

    ReplyDelete